I am really enjoying the Sobretto Tank by Colette Patterns, which you can see to the right. The pattern is free to download on the Colette Patterns website. Click here if you would like to download the Sobretto Tank pdf pattern. You can find a pattern for an optional sleeve here or here. Alternatively, you could draft your own sleeve using standard techniques (here is a tutorial on Threads).
The Sobretto is a very simple pattern (only two pieces) for a lovely pull over tank, with a center inverted box pleat and trimmed with bias binding at the neckline/arm holes. I find that the shoulders are exactly the right place to cover my bra straps, which I really appreciate. This is a classic pattern that is easy to modify for different looks and can be made with a wide range of fabrics. I will make the Sobretto many times in the future, especially to wear to work under a suit jacket.
The primary pattern adjustment was a FBA. Additionally, I adjust the placement and the angle of the shoulder seams, as well as the placement of the side seams.
The first time I made the Sobretto, I tried a fancy FBA that Sandra Betzina described in her book Fast Fit: Easy Pattern Alterations for Every Figure (or maybe it was Power Sewing Step-by-Step). I must have not done it correctly as this particular FBA caused all sorts of other problems. that had to be corrected by taking in a lot of fabric with princess darts. Also the neck gaped and my bra showed through the arm holes. It was a good thing that I used some inexpensive quilting fabric as a wearable muslin.
The second time I made the Sobretto, I had much better success. This time, I did a traditional FBA, which didn’t cause any problems that required fixing with darts, etc. I also eliminated the box pleat. As always, I tried out my adjusted pattern with a muslin. Below, you can see the front of my muslin, which shows the FBA (green) and marking (from when I tried on the muslin) showing where the side seam should go (purple).
If you need a good tutorial for a FBA, click here, or check out many other tutorials available on the web and in books. I still had to adjust the shoulder and side seams. I think these are going to be standard modifications for me.
All of these modifications worked out perfectly. Here is my final product.
In my next post, I will review all of the embellishments that I made to this top.